Self help comes to life
What is psychoeducation?
Psychoeducation is a way of learning about your psychological problem in a clear and concise way. The aim of the course is help you begin to understand the psychological nature of your problems and how things maybe able to change, looking at useful tools and techniques that the qualified therapist facilitators will guide you on how to use. This builds on the coping skills you will already have, introduces to you a range of new skills and starts the process of change with you in the driving seat enabling you to become your own therapist.
How does it work?
Our range of Understanding Courses consist of;
- Understanding Loss and Bereavement;
- Understanding Low Mood after Childbirth
- Understanding Obsessions and Compulsions
- Understanding Low Self Esteem
- Understanding Sleep Problems
Run over three sessions these courses offer the opportunity to explore the nature of specific difficulties and contain useful advice and techniques that the facilitators will show you how to use so that you can begin improve your situation. Generally these courses are limited to around 12 attendees.
Our Stress and Mood Management Course is designed to explore several key areas relating to commonly experienced problems. Running over a period of six weeks, at various times and locations. Your first session will begin with a small group introduction to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, the therapeutic model on which the course is based and is then followed by larger forum exploring areas such as Stress, Self Esteem, Mood Management, Healthy living/Sleep issues, Mindfulness and Acceptance and Issues relating to Anxiety. Generally the courses are attended by approx. 25 people but we do use some larger forums at busier times.
What Psych-education course are not
- They are not group therapy sessions;
- You will not be required to speak unless you want to;
- The course facilitators will guide discussions but will not engage in personal therapy within the course sessions.
Psychoeducation for anger management
The anger management classes will reduce the feelings that anger causes.
You can't get rid of or avoid the things or the people that enrage you, nor can you change them, but these classes can teach you to control your reactions.
The programme covers issues such as:
- problem solving;
- cognitive restructuring (using CBT);
- improving your communication skills and in some cases using humour to defuse situations